Mysteries And Legends of Madrid Tour
Friday and Saturday
Minimum 1 / maximum 10 people
Are you ready?
Mysteries And Legends of Madrid Tour
Legend has it that the origins of Madrid go back to the fall of Troy, when, guided by the gods, a young prince undertook a long journey in search of a new home… That will be just the beginning of our tour, a unique journey through through the mysteries and legends of the town of Madrid that will allow us to discover the most unknown dimension of this ancient city.
– First of all we will visit the famous Plaza Mayor, which, despite the fact that today there is no trace of it, has witnessed some of the most lurid events that have occurred in Madrid. Inquisitorial orders, public executions…
– We will continue our tour through the Plaza de Oriente. Why is it called that? What role have Freemasonry and secret societies played in shaping power in Spain?
– Our tour will continue through the darkest face of the Puerta del Sol, where the uprising of May 2 began, immortalized by Goya in his famous painting… Did you know the disturbing connection of this artist with witchcraft?
– Next, we will go to the sinister House of the Seven Chimneys, from which we will head towards Calle Alcalá and the Palacio de Linares, where inexplicable noises have been heard for decades.
Unsolved crimes, ghosts that have not found rest, manifestly paranormal events… Hidden in the most unexpected corners, lie countless enigmas that will forever change our way of seeing Madrid. We invite you to explore them with us on an essential tour to discover the secret history of the capital of Spain.
Discover the stories, legends and oldest corners of Madrid on foot with our expert guides!
- Departure from Calle de Santiago 18
- Mercado de San Miguel
- Plaza de Puerta Cerrada
- Plaza Mayor
- Iglesia San Ginés
- Plaza Ópera
- Palacio Real
- Monasterio de Descalzas Reales
- Real Oratorio de Caballero de Gracia
- Casa de Las Siete Chimeneas
- Iglesia de San José
- Círculo de Bellas Artes
- Palacio del Marqués de Linares
- Mercado de San Miguel
- Return to Calle de Santiago 18
Get in touch with our team!
Fill out this form and we will contact you:
Mysteries And Legends of Madrid Tour : Top Things to See, Do, Buy, & Eat
The Mysteries and Legends of Madrid Tour is a popular excursion that takes visitors on a journey through the intriguing and enigmatic side of Spain’s capital city, Madrid. The tour delves into the rich history, folklore, and mysteries that have shaped the city’s identity over the centuries.
During the tour, participants explore the dark corners and hidden alleys of Madrid while hearing captivating stories and legends from an experienced guide. These tales revolve around historical figures, haunted places, unsolved mysteries, and supernatural phenomena associated with the city.
Some of the key highlights of the Mysteries and Legends of Madrid Tour may include:
- Legends of the Plaza Mayor: The Plaza Mayor, a central square in Madrid, has witnessed numerous events throughout history. Guides narrate tales of ghosts, tragic events, and eerie occurrences that have taken place in and around this iconic landmark.
- The Ghosts of the Royal Palace: Madrid’s Royal Palace, once the residence of Spanish monarchs, is said to be haunted by spirits from the past. Visitors learn about the legends surrounding the palace and the eerie encounters reported by palace staff and visitors.
- The Curse of the Puerta del Sol: Puerta del Sol is a bustling square and one of Madrid’s most famous landmarks. The tour explores the mysterious curse that allegedly haunts the square and the urban legends associated with it.
- The Haunted House of the Marquis of Villena: The Marquis of Villena’s house, located in the heart of Madrid, has a chilling reputation. Stories of apparitions, strange happenings, and unexplained events make this house a focal point of the tour.
- The Mysterious Hieronymite Monastery: The Hieronymite Monastery, situated in Madrid’s San Jerónimo neighborhood, has a long history filled with enigmatic tales. Participants discover stories of secret societies, hidden treasures, and mystical happenings within the monastery’s walls.
- The Labyrinthine Crypts of San Isidro: The Crypts of San Isidro are ancient catacombs underneath the Church of San Andrés. Guides share the eerie legends and stories connected to these underground chambers, including tales of ghosts and hidden passages.
The Mysteries and Legends of Madrid Tour offers a unique and captivating way to explore the city, providing visitors with a deeper understanding of Madrid’s hidden past and the legends that continue to intrigue locals and tourists alike. It’s an opportunity to immerse oneself in the mystique and charm of the city’s enigmatic side while enjoying an engaging and atmospheric experience.
Why to do the Mysteries And Legends of Madrid Tour?
There are several reasons why you might consider doing the Mysteries and Legends of Madrid Tour:
1. Uncover Hidden History: The tour allows you to delve into the lesser-known aspects of Madrid’s history. By exploring the mysteries and legends of the city, you gain a deeper understanding of its cultural heritage and the events that have shaped it over time.
2. Engaging and Unique Experience: The tour offers a captivating and immersive experience that goes beyond traditional sightseeing. Instead of just visiting landmarks, you get to hear intriguing stories and legends that add an extra layer of excitement and intrigue to your exploration of Madrid.
3. Nighttime Atmosphere: The tour can be conducted in the evening or at night, which adds an atmospheric touch to the experience. Exploring the city’s mysteries under the cover of darkness can enhance the thrill and make the stories come alive.
4. Professional Guides: The tours are led by knowledgeable and experienced guides who are passionate about Madrid’s history and folklore. They bring the stories to life with their engaging storytelling skills, ensuring an informative and entertaining experience for participants.
5. Local Legends and Lore: Madrid has a wealth of fascinating local legends and folklore that are not widely known. By participating in the tour, you have the opportunity to discover these hidden tales, some of which may have been passed down through generations.
6. Unique Perspective: The Mysteries and Legends of Madrid Tour offers a different perspective on the city. It takes you off the beaten path and allows you to see Madrid from a fresh angle, unveiling its enigmatic and mystical side that is often overlooked by traditional tourist attractions.
7. Thrills and Chills: If you enjoy a bit of mystery and the thrill of the unknown, this tour can provide a dose of excitement. From haunted houses to cursed squares, the tour introduces you to spine-tingling stories that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Overall, whether you’re a history buff, a fan of ghost stories, or simply looking for an offbeat and memorable experience, the Mysteries and Legends of Madrid Tour will be a great choice.
What to eat in Madrid?
Madrid is known for its vibrant culinary scene, offering a wide array of delicious dishes and specialties. Here are some must-try foods when in Madrid:
- Tapas: Madrid is famous for its tapas culture. These small, flavorful dishes are perfect for sharing and trying a variety of flavors. Some popular tapas include patatas bravas (fried potatoes with spicy sauce), croquetas (deep-fried creamy croquettes), and Spanish omelette (potato and egg dish).
- Jamón Ibérico: Spain is renowned for its cured ham, and Jamón Ibérico is a prized delicacy. Enjoy thin slices of this exquisite, melt-in-your-mouth ham, often served with bread or as part of a tapas spread.
- Cocido Madrileño: This hearty traditional stew is a must-try in Madrid. It typically consists of chickpeas, various meats (such as beef, pork, and chicken), vegetables, and flavorful broth. It’s a comforting and filling dish, perfect for colder days.
- Bocadillo de Calamares: Madrid’s iconic sandwich filled with crispy fried squid rings is a local favorite. Served in a crusty baguette and often accompanied by a squeeze of lemon, it’s a delicious street food option.
- Churros con Chocolate: Indulge in a sweet treat with churros, deep-fried dough sticks dusted with sugar, and served with a cup of thick hot chocolate for dipping. It’s a popular choice for breakfast or as a snack.
- Tortilla de Patatas: This classic Spanish dish is a thick omelette made with eggs and potatoes. It’s often served as a tapa or in a sandwich. The combination of creamy potatoes and eggs is simply delicious.
- Pimientos de Padrón: These small green peppers are fried and sprinkled with sea salt. They are served as a popular tapa and have a mild flavor, but occasionally you might encounter a spicy one, adding a surprise element to the dish.
- Gambas al Ajillo: Garlic shrimp is a staple in Spanish cuisine. Sautéed in olive oil, garlic, and chili, these succulent shrimp make for a flavorful and aromatic dish.
- Rabo de Toro: This traditional dish consists of braised oxtail stewed with vegetables and spices until it becomes tender and rich in flavor. It’s a hearty and satisfying option for meat lovers.
- Pastel de Nata: Although originally from Portugal, these creamy custard tarts have gained popularity in Madrid. They have a flaky pastry crust and a sweet custard filling, often enjoyed with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
These are just a few highlights of the delectable food scene in Madrid. Exploring local markets, tapas bars, and traditional restaurants will open up a world of culinary delights during your visit.
Must see places when visiting Madrid
When visiting Madrid, there are several must-see places that showcase the city’s rich history, culture, and architectural wonders. Here are some of the top places to visit in Madrid:
1. Royal Palace (Palacio Real): Explore the magnificent official residence of the Spanish Royal Family, featuring stunning architecture, opulent rooms, and beautiful gardens.
2. Prado Museum (Museo del Prado): Discover one of the world’s most renowned art museums, housing an impressive collection of European masterpieces, including works by Goya, Velázquez, and El Greco.
3. Puerta del Sol: Visit the bustling heart of Madrid, known for its iconic clock tower and the famous “Kilometer Zero” marker, symbolizing the center of the city and the starting point of Spain’s national roads.
4. Retiro Park (Parque del Retiro): Relax in this expansive park, known as the “green lung” of Madrid. Take a leisurely stroll, rent a rowboat on the park’s lake, or admire the Crystal Palace and the stunning gardens.
5. Plaza Mayor: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of this historic square, lined with picturesque buildings and filled with cafes, restaurants, and shops. It’s a great place to soak up the ambiance of Madrid.
6. Reina Sofia Museum (Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia): Explore this modern art museum, home to an extensive collection of 20th-century art, including Picasso’s famous painting, “Guernica.”
7. Gran Via: Wander along Madrid’s bustling and lively main avenue, filled with shops, theaters, restaurants, and iconic buildings. It’s known for its vibrant nightlife and impressive architecture.
8. Temple of Debod (Templo de Debod): Visit this ancient Egyptian temple that was gifted to Spain and reassembled in Madrid. It offers beautiful views of the city and stunning sunsets.
9. San Miguel Market (Mercado de San Miguel): Indulge in the culinary delights of this vibrant food market, where you can savor a variety of Spanish tapas, fresh produce, and gourmet treats.
10. Santiago Bernabeu Stadium: For football enthusiasts, a visit to the home stadium of Real Madrid is a must. Take a tour of the iconic stadium, explore the trophy room, and walk in the footsteps of football legends.
These are just a few of the many remarkable places to visit in Madrid. The city offers a diverse range of attractions that cater to history buffs, art lovers, foodies, and sports enthusiasts alike, ensuring a memorable and enriching experience.
Why choose us?
There are several compelling reasons to choose Wonder Tours:
- Personalized Experience: With our private tours, you have the undivided attention of a knowledgeable guide who can tailor the experience to your interests. You can ask questions, delve deeper into specific aspects, and explore at your own pace.
- Flexibility and Customization: Our private tours offer flexibility in terms of timing, itinerary, and duration. You can choose the attractions you want to visit, spend more time in areas that interest you, and have the freedom to adjust the tour according to your preferences.
- Exclusive Access: Our private tours allow you to access areas or attractions that may not be accessible to the general public. You can explore hidden gems, visit lesser-known sites, and enjoy a more intimate experience of the city’s old town.
- In-depth Knowledge: Your private guide will share detailed insights about the history, architecture, and cultural significance of the old town. They can provide a deeper understanding of the city’s heritage and enrich your experience with engaging stories and anecdotes.
- Personalized Recommendations: Your guide can offer personalized recommendations for dining, shopping, and other activities based on your interests and preferences. They can suggest hidden local spots, traditional eateries, or unique experiences that align with your tastes.
- Privacy and Comfort: Our private tours ensure privacy and a more intimate experience for you and your group. You can explore at your own pace, enjoy meaningful conversations with your guide, and create lasting memories without the presence of other tourists.
- Safety and Peace of Mind: During our private tours, you have greater control over health and safety measures. You can maintain social distancing, follow hygiene protocols, and have peace of mind knowing that the tour is tailored to your comfort level.
- Capture Unforgettable Moments: With our private tours, you have the flexibility to take your time and capture memorable photos of the landmarks, streets, and hidden corners of Madrid’s old town. Your guide can even assist you in finding the best photo spots.
The Madrid Old Town Private Tour offers a unique and personalized way to explore the historic heart of the city, ensuring an unforgettable experience tailored to your preferences and providing deeper insights into the rich cultural heritage of Madrid.
Overall, Wonder Tours offer a personalized, flexible, and tailored travel experience, allowing you to make the most of your trip and create lasting memories.